Chelsea vs Manchester City 0-2: Premier League football – as it happened

 


Skip links 

 ABC NEWS TODAY

  • 21m ago
     (17:59 GMT)

    Goodbye for now

    City make the perfect start as they seek to capture an unprecedented fifth title in a row.

    Chelsea will consider themselves unlucky to have had to play the reigning champions in their first game, and will hope to work on the inadequacies shown upfront.

    We hope you enjoyed our coverage of today’s encounter, and do stay tuned as Al Jazeera continues to cover all the marquee matches this season.

    On behalf of Al Jazeera Sport, this is Rohan Sharma signing off.

  • 22m ago
     (17:58 GMT)

    ‘It is an immense privilege, can’t be more honoured to be a manager of these guys.’

    An elated Pep Guardiola provided his post-match thoughts to Sky Sports: “Same like you. Didn’t expect it [regarding the opening victory].

    “Considering how we are, the commitment, it is good news. We have 65 games ahead of us.

    “We know each other quite well. Bernardo [Silva] could be quite tired and give you something special. Really happy with Kevin [De Bruyne]. He was dynamic.

    “Of course there are mistakes and we need to improve on many things, but we will talk.

    “It is an immense privilege and can’t be more honoured to be a manager of these guys.

    “They give everything – the joy, happiness, the commitment.

    “It is how we celebrate in the good moments, how we help in the bad moments.

    “It is this stuff that defines the season.

    “Why don’t I make this player play [regarding Rico Lewis]. He saved a goal. In the pockets he moved like few players I have seen. He is always ready. He is a top player.

    “Savinho likes to play right, Doku likes to be on the left, so that’s what I had to do. I saw they had changed and I have to learn to put the players in the right areas. You have to put the players where they are comfortable.”

     (17:53 GMT)



  • ‘A game like this – do I need to be involved? It’s the million-dollar question’

    Haaland, who scored his 100th goal for Manchester City, provided his views as well: “Yeah, three points – perfect start.

    “I don’t feel in perfect shape, but it’s good to get a goal and to win,” he said.

    “Last year, Sanchez made a great save off me.

    “He often stays on his line, which is why I took a couple of extra touches so that he had to come out. Then I knew what to do.

    “Pep [Guardiola] says to us every day that the best players are the best at the ‘easiest’ things [like your first touch in a busy penalty area]. He says this to me a lot!

    “If I can stretch the centre backs to create space for Bernardo Silva, I’ll do it. It’s hard, but that’s my job.

    “I want to be more involved in games, Pep always says that to me.

    “But then a game like this – do I need to be more involved? I don’t know, it’s the million-dollar question.”

  • 36m ago
     (17:44 GMT)

    ‘This team is so hungry’

    Kovacic, who scored the second goal to put Chelsea away, shares his thoughts with Sky Sports: “We are missing some big players.

    “I had a longer break so I could recover better, I wanted to be ready for the beginning of the season.

    “[Regarding Rodri’s absence] I played some kind of his role today, but we are always missing Rodri.

    “He is, if not the best, one of the best in the world,” he said.

    “I don’t score many goals, and when you score you want to celebrate.

    “But I have huge respect for Chelsea. I spent five years here.

    “I scored but that is not always the most important thing for me, the most important is winning.

    “This team is so hungry and it’s a pleasure to be a part of it and win titles.”

  • 43m ago
     (17:37 GMT)

    100 up for Haaland

  • 51m ago
     (17:29 GMT)

    Silva named Player of the Match

  • atOptions = { 'key' : 'f0dab99c0a8143a355410e63b3ed25c9', 'format' : 'iframe', 'height' : 90, 'width' : 728, 'params' : {} };
: center;">


  • 53m ago
     (17:28 GMT)

    City’s season begin brightly

  • 54m ago
     (17:27 GMT)

    Full-time: Chelsea 0-2 Manchester City

    City do what’s needed to get their 2024/25 campaign off on the right foot by securing three valuable points away at Stamford Bridge.

    Chelsea, who were always the underdogs, will certainly be concerned by the lack of finishing quality shown by their attackers.

    Full-time: Chelsea 0-2 Manchester City

    Manchester City's Mateo Kovacic and teammates celebrates scoring their second goal
    Kovacic celebrates scoring with Bernardo Silva, Phil Foden and Kevin De Bruyne[Peter Cziborra/Action Images via Reuters]
  • Privacy Policy
  • ad3




  • 57m ago
     (17:23 GMT)

    Five minutes added

    The fourth official has signalled for five additional minutes of stoppage time.

    90+2 mins: Chelsea 0-2 Manchester City

  • 59m ago
     (17:22 GMT)

    Caicedo booked

    An irritated Caicedo goes into the referee’s naughty book for a rather ugly challenge on Doku.

    90 mins: Chelsea 0-2 Manchester City

Source: Al Jazeera and news agencies

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad4